Jun 11, 2010

Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III, the 15th President of the republic of the Philippines


As I was sitting on my couch, watching the news on TV a few days ago, I saw the live proclamation of the 15th President of the Philippines Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III. I didn't vote for him on the last elections with the fear of his inexperience, the Hacienda Luisita issues and his sister Kris, who is just a bit annoying to me.



With Senator Juan Ponce Enrile and Cong. Prospero Nograles, together with Jejomar Binay, who won the VP race, It dawned on me that we have new leaders. The incumbent will soon move out of her post and hand the keys to our nation to the son of Heroes, a former President and Senator. 

Binay on the other hand will be, if I'm not mistaken, the first Mayor to become Vice President. A neck to neck win against Mar Roxas, who was expected to win in large margin basing on the survey results a month before elections. Although I am sure Mar will get a cabinet post and play a major role in the Aquino Presidency. I will make a separate post about the Roxas-Binay co-existence in the Cabinet.

On his part, the former mayor managed to eke out a win on the last days of the campaign with his commercial slogan: "Kay Binay, gaganda ang buhay". I will watch out for that. Having a "wait and see" attitude, especially on his cabinet assignments.  I believe that Binay will play an important role in uniting the LP and the Erap camp which is of course purely political.  


High Expectations
Now that Noynoy and Binay are to be inaugurated in the coming weeks, people have this sense of high expectations. As seen on the news these past days, people flock to the Aquino residence to submit resumes. "Parang Department of Labor na kami dito", blurted the security guard manning the ancestral lair, as people from every nook and corner of the country throng their support and at the same time hoping for job opportunities. I think this is part of the idealistic promises he laid during the campaign period. The "daang matuwid", "hindi ako magnanakaw", "kung walang corrupt, walang mahirap", all point to an expected cleaning up of all the supposed dirty trash left by the previous government. My question is... should this strike fear among corrupt government officials and evaders of the law? I just hope Noynoy will have enough fire in his belly to blow out all speculations that his presidency would not end up being a "I leave it to my advisers" type of leadership. 

Hopeful Country
I saw clips of the riots in Thailand, and I was telling to my self--- "I don't want to see my country so divided like this". We already had our share of EDSAs, and the Filipino people have developed this "EDSA fatigue syndrome". After the second overthrowing of a leader, we became tired of protesting on the streets demanding for change. 

We have made our statement, and now we have chosen a leader whom we believe will change the course of our nation. It is now time for us to rise from the ashes of corruption (most corrupt nations), and move forward to the horizon of hope. 

Let us Pray for Noynoy. He needs all the prayer and support we can give. Lets do away with all the bickering and crab mentality, and let us unite to make this country great again.

PADYAK PILIPINAS!!!         













2 comments:

  1. Very well said. If I was by then able to vote that time, I too may have not chosen Noynoy as a leader of our country. If most people bestowed their faith and hope on him, surely, must we try not? Divisions bring fall. It is only right to give our new president a chance. I just hope he will live up to his promises and progress this country to erase my fear and the fear of skeptical Filipinos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't imagine Philippines having a president as him. To say the least.. .. his voice are very unpleasant to hear... He can't say words clearly and is so much as a GAY ( i heard this one from my father).. well, let's just raise our expectations..KRis's on his back anyway.. DANG.

    Binay is good.

    ReplyDelete