Feb 22, 2011

The EDSA "people power" revolution, facebook version.

The Edsa People Power revolution will celebrate its 25 years this coming February 25. Its just so amazing that we as a people are going to celebrate 25 years of Filipino Democracy, while our Arab neighbors just began theirs.

I remember i was 7 years old then. All I could care about were my toys and cartoons while the whole world was glued on the events in EDSA. My parents were on their heels every hour watching events unfold on our old black and white (Nivico) TV. I can still see my dad walking back and forth in the sala, a bit nervous of the things that were about to happen. The next thing I knew, was everybody were jumping up and down jeering that Marcos has fled. I can still vividly remember on the TV screen the 2 little girls hugging and a rain of confetti everywhere. The songs, "Handog ng Pilipino sa Mundo", "Magkaisa", "Ibon mang maylayang Lumipad", "Bayan Ko" were like being played all day.


A few days ago, I stumbled upon an article in GMA news TV (link), about the Edsa revolution,and what if Facebook existed then? Just like what is happening in Egypt, Tunisia, and Libya now, where social networking sites are used as a source of information to mobilize the people. It was hard back then, when we were limited to the telephone and radio for communication. It was Veritas then...Facebook now.

Here is the "facebook" version below. It is a bit funny, but I was impressed with the whole dialog and chronological movement of events.

Credit goes to GMA news online.



Mabuhay ang Edsa!, Mabuhay ang Pilipinas!

Onward People Power!!

No comments:

Post a Comment